December 30, 2014

From Brain to Page

I've never developed a writing method or process.

I started writing when I was in high school, sticking to fan-fiction (mostly *NSYNC). I was never a planner. My stories were written in snatches of time in class, procrastinating homework. I didn't even plan school papers ahead (possibly why I was a B student in English...); I would just wait till the last minute and pull something out of my rear.

When I picked up writing again (mostly fan-fiction again) I stuck to the same old method. Just making it up as I went along. But that obviously isn't getting me anywhere, so I need to find my method.

This past NaNoWriMo, I started out sort of pantsing it. The idea was one that has been stewing for a few years so I knew what I wanted to do but I've never been able to get it out on paper. I thought I'd be able to knuckle down and get the story out this past NaNo but about halfway through, I was struggling.

So I decided that I would use the remainder of NaNo to find my method. Well, that didn't work. I didn't write anything else in November. 

I have been working on it though. And I might have found a method. We'll talk more about it over the next few posts.

See you Friday.
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment